Video game soundtracks have come a long way in recent years. Once considered an afterthought, now the musical scores for video games can evoke powerful emotions and transport us to other worlds. From the haunting and ethereal sounds of “Journey” to the adrenaline-pumping beats of “DOOM,” video game soundtracks can make or break a gaming experience. With so many amazing soundtracks out there, it can be hard to know where to start. Here is a guide to some of the best video game soundtracks.
1. “Final Fantasy VI” – The “Final Fantasy” series is renowned for its beautiful and emotionally stirring scores, but “Final Fantasy VI” stands out as a true masterpiece. With themes ranging from airy and whimsical to grand and epic, “Final Fantasy VI” soundtrack is a tour de force in video game music composition.
2. “NieR: Automata” – The soundtrack for “NieR: Automata” is hauntingly beautiful, blending haunting choir arrangements with electronic beats and ethereal vocals. The musical score of “NieR: Automata” draws players into the post-apocalyptic world of the game, evoking both a feeling of desolation and hope.
3. “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time” – The soundtrack for “Ocarina of Time” remains one of the most memorable and iconic in video game history. Composed by Koji Kondo, the score blends sweeping orchestral pieces with catchy, memorable melodies that have stayed with players for more than two decades.
4. “Undertale” – The “Undertale” soundtrack is one of the most unique and original video game soundtracks of recent years. The score features an eclectic mix of styles, from chiptune and 8-bit to orchestral and rock. The result is a soundtrack that perfectly captures the quirky and off-beat nature of the game.
5. “Chrono Trigger” – Another classic from the golden age of video game music, “Chrono Trigger” is a time-traveling adventure that features a rich and diverse soundtrack. Composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, the score blends intricate piano pieces with sweeping orchestral arrangements, creating a musical journey that is both emotional and exciting.
6. “Journey” – The musical score for “Journey” is as hauntingly beautiful as the game itself. Composed by Austin Wintory, the score blends ethereal vocals with orchestral arrangements, creating a soundscape that perfectly captures the wonder and mystery of the game’s world.
7. “DOOM” – The soundtrack for “DOOM” is a metalhead’s dream, featuring intense and unrelenting heavy metal beats that perfectly match the game’s non-stop action. Composed by Mick Gordon, the score is a relentless assault on the senses that will have players fighting demons to the beat.
In conclusion, video game soundtracks have evolved from mere background noise to powerful, evocative scores that can stand on their own. The above guide will help you discover some of the best video game soundtracks around, but there are so many more out there waiting to be discovered. So put on your headphones, fire up your favorite game, and let the music take you on a journey unlike any other.